Saturday, December 18, 2010

Nutty Cassava Delight


Last time I had been to the Asian grocery store I bought some Cassava or tapioca powder.Back from the shop I was wondering what to make with it as I bought it without any idea of what to use it for.Then when I was going through many of the food blogs that I usually visit for my cooking inspirations I saw Halwas in many forms from different cultures so I tweaked my maida(all purpose flour) halwa recipe and came up with this.This is an easy and tasty nutty version of Halwa. I already made this twice, that too in one week .If you guys can't find the cassava powder, you just can substitute it with maida or corn starch.
Serves:3
Ingredients:
Cassava or Tapioca powder-1/4 cup
Sugar-1 cup
Ghee-3 tbs
Cardamom-1/4 tsp
Cashewnut -1/4 cup
Almond-1/4 cup
Method:
Make a sugar syrup of one string consistency.To this add 1 tbs of ghee. Make a thin batter with cassava powder and 1/2 cup water.Add this to the sugar syrup and mix well till you get a uniform mix.I like to blend the sugar syrup and cassava batter in a blender.Tranfer this to a heavy bottom non stick pan kept at medium heat and stir well till cassava gets cooked and leaves the sides of the pan and reaches a halwa consistency.Now add the remaining ghee ,cardamom and sliced nuts.Keep stirring till it absorbs all the ghee.Transfer the halwa to individual greased ramkins or dessert bowls.Garnish with more nuts and serve.
Note:This is a transparent glass like halwa,but if you like to have color then you can add a drop of cooking color of your choice when you are mixing cassava powder to the water to make a batter.This halwa tastes good, hot or cold.
Sending this to Manjula's Kitchen December contest and Veggie Huts Winter Warmers

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...