Monday, March 8, 2010

Beet Stir Fry


When I was a  kid I always wanted to try Beet-root fry. But my Mom and Dad, who always used to get us whatever we wanted, never used to buy this vegetable. As like many others my Dad also hated its earthy smell and thought that we also may not like this. So whenever my friends had this dish for lunch I used to envy them. I am sure my desire for this was not because I knew that it contains sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, sulphur, chlorine, iodine, iron, copper, vitamin B1, B2, C ,P and is an abundant source of fiber, but because of the beautiful red colour it imparts on the rice. When I grew up and went for my studies in B'lore this was one vegetable that I tried making myself  but like my father I had some problem with its earthy smell. But I didn't give up making this since by then I knew of its nutritional values.  As a result now I have a few yummy recipes of beetroot that anyone would love to have. This recipe is for all those who loves to have colour in their rice.

Ingredients:
Beetroot-2 medium (cut into small pieces)
Ginger-1 1/2 inch (cut fine)
Green chili -3
Curry leaves-few
Onion -1
Salt -as required

Method:
Cook the beet along with ginger,curry leaves , green chili and salt by adding enough water to almost cover the beet.You can also cook this in a microwave .
Once the beetroot is cooked, drain the excess water. Meanwhile saute onion in a frying pan along with oil till they turn translucent. Now add the cooked beets and saute till it's dry. It may take a few minutes. If you are in a mood for some spicy beets you can add an additional 1/4 tsp pepper or chili powder to it and saute for an additional minute. Now you have your beet fry ready. This goes well with rice and rasam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...