Thursday, February 25, 2010

Parippu Cheera Curry (Dal Bok Choy Curry)

When I am in a mood to have something from my childhood days, CurryWorld is where I go (http://curryworld.wordpress.com). Of course, I make my little twists to whatever I take from there. Veena who blogs CurryWorld is from my native place, Thrissur, and all her recipes tastes so much like my mom's. For a person like me who never learned anything in cooking from my mom, it was a godsend finding CurryWorld. As otherwise when I am in a mood for mom's cooking, it would be midnight in India and I would have had to call her up then :-)
This recipe below is originally from CurryWorld.

Ingredients
  1. Bok Choy or Spinach -1 1/2cup(chopped finely)
  2. Toor Dal-1/2cup
  3. Grated Coconut-1/2 of 1 coconut
  4. Shallots-2 nos
  5. Chilly Powder-1/4tsp
  6. Turmeric Powder-1/4tsp
  7. Salt -taste
  8. Mustard Seeds-1/4tsp
  9. Curry leaves- a few
  10. Dry Red Chilly-2
  11. Water-11/2cup

Method

Cook dal in a pressure cooker along with turmeric powder ,chilly powder and 1 1/2cups of water
Chop the washed bok choy into small pieces.
Grind coconut and shallots together to make a thick paste, by adding little amounts of warm water.
After the dal is cooked add the chopped bok choy or spinach and cook for further 2 minutes.
Now add the coconut paste to the cooked dal and bok choy/spinach mixture, add salt to your taste and mix well. Bring this to boil.
You can adjust the consistency of the curry to your liking by adding enough water.
When the curry comes to a boil, remove from the fire.
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped dry chilly, mustard seeds and curry leaves to this. After the mustard splutters pour this seasoning to the curry.
This curry goes well with rice and chapathi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...